Dave Gahan and Martin Gore attack Simon Cowell and the X-Factor
(12-20-2012, 11:52 PM)martinsharmony Wrote: Well, I'd really rather not argue about this, but I feel I must say something.

I think he probably chose his words poorly. Of course we know that Martin didn't mean it. Martin does not actually want Simon dead. He even said so "I'm not advocating violence". It's that dry British humor. In light of the recent shooting in America, we are quite sensitive about this.

I don't necessarily think it was "good" promotion. And as I said before, it might have turned off a lot of people who otherwise may not have known DM.

There are those who say that there is no such thing as bad publicity. Hmmmm. Not so sure.

But I think everyone has forgotten about it by now. They are focused on actual violence that happened.

I shudder to think what might have happened if Simon had actually been shot. It's for that reason that I wish he hadn't said it. However, I fully support Martin's thinking behind it. I agree shows like that are garbage and do nothing to support new artists and artist discovery.

I couldn't have said it better!

I agree with the phrase there is no such thing as bad publicity. This got DM into the news. That's a huge thing, especially in the States because it's such a hip-pop culture here when it comes to music. So, hearing about an "80's band" that's still recording music might interest the younger people that are more into the alternative scene, therefore DM gaining new fans.

(I hope that paragraph made sense! Haha)
i disagree about that "bad publicity" thing. music bands should get their publicity by making (hopefully good) music. its not classy to be part of such hassles. as i consider dm being classy band, i'm glad, they didn't replied to simon's hysterica. if musicians (or their producers) can't get attention other way than startin a drama, like simon did - okay, let it be. it like an indicator, that you shouldn't give any fuck about their music, because it most likely sux.

and i don't think people who are into alternative scene give any fuck to even read the tabloid news, especially about simon cowell, they have other ways to discover new music.
(01-03-2013, 01:11 PM)veggiesboudoir Wrote: i disagree about that "bad publicity" thing. music bands should get their publicity by making (hopefully good) music. its not classy to be part of such hassles. as i consider dm being classy band, i'm glad, they didn't replied to simon's hysterica. if musicians (or their producers) can't get attention other way than startin a drama, like simon did - okay, let it be. it like an indicator, that you shouldn't give any fuck about their music, because it most likely sux.

and i don't think people who are into alternative scene give any fuck to even read the tabloid news, especially about simon cowell, they have other ways to discover new music.

I see where you're coming from about the publicity and about people in the alternative scene finding music in their own way and not reading the tabloids. I'm in a very weird inbetween category. Because of my radio show I HAVE to read those gossip blogs for my show segment, I'd rather not though, but if I see DM mentioned in there, you know I'll mention them on my show because it will drive my co-hosts crazy! Tongue1

I like that they didn't respond either. I wrote on my blog that Simon tried to make a smart comeback after someone exposed the truth about him and his shows and failed miserably. Martin and Dave let it be and let the statements stay; didn't add anything more. Which is the way to go. You can't have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent ;)